Advertisement

Sacred Use of Cedar

topic posted Thu, January 4, 2007 - 1:43 PM by  White Wolf
Share/Save/Bookmark
Cedar (Keezhik)

Keezhik (Cedar) represents the Southern direction and the soul. The leaves are cleaned from the stems and separated into small pieces, which are used in many ways. When burned, Keezhik acts as a purifier, cleansing the area in which it is burned and emitting a pleasant scent. True cedar is burnt while praying to the Great Mystery in meditation, and also to bless a house before moving in. Cedar was offered to the fire to smudge the lodge and people. It is also used to waft the smoke to ward away sickness. In traditional medicine, a compound decoction of twigs was made into an herbal steam for rheumatism. It works both as a purifier and as a way to attract GOOD energy in your direction. Elders say put some in you shoes and only goodness will come your way. Many traditional women keep some cedar in their left pocket. When you breathe in the smell of cedar you decide that you're going to have courage and stamina and that you're going to survive. You think of what the herb means, why it was given to us … It's not magic.

Abuses

New Age tourists have been abusing the sacred Cedar tree Manido Giizhigance on the Grand Portage Reservation in Minnesota.

posted by:
White Wolf
Massachusetts
Advertisement
  • Re: Sacred Use of Cedar

Fri, January 5, 2007 - 1:42 AM
    Wolf, in the Eagle meditation i was flying over ceder and pine, always felt that was relevent, now you say ceder is the soul?? thank you xxxxxx
  • Re: Sacred Use of Cedar

Fri, January 5, 2007 - 6:19 AM
    Thank you for sharing these insights on the use of cedar. When I first found that I had (what was suppose to be) an incurable illness, I was guided to purchase a flute to be used during my healing. The one that spoke to me is called a medicine / love flute and is made of cedar with a carved eagle's head. I never questions why I was guided to purchase this particular flute, but now I think I do understand...

"You decide that you're going to have courage and stamina and that you're going to survive."

... and this is exactly what the cedar flute gave to me... The Great Spirit healed my body and the cedar flute healed my soul.

Love and Light...

Recent topics in "Native American Prayer and Wisdom"